Long ago, I posted just the first portion of this song, promising that I’d upload “part 2” (aka “the rest of it”) shortly. At that time I had already finished (maybe 98%, I don’t remember exactly) this version, and just needed to get a good recording. And then much time passed. At long, long last, the day before moving (for a while) to Japan (more on this soon), I finally got this recording…. and that was four months ago. Today, cleaning up some files, I came back across it. Woops! So, here’s that long-promised-long-misplaced recording:
I described in the first post that part 1 was written without a piano, just in Finale, which was a new and challenging approach for me. After learning to actually play the piece on piano (the majority of the challenge of that approach), I expanded upon it in my more typical zone, just jamming around on the instrument, and the result is what you hear above. Actually at a few small moments in working on this new version, I went back into Finale to really figure out tough passages, so I’m very happy to have added that implement to my musical toolchest, where earlier in my writing I would’ve just ended up going with something I was more comfortable playing off the bat. All in all, I’m really happy with how this piece came out.
There might be a part 3 in the future. The plan from the get-go was to write part 1 in Finale, learn to play it, write part 2 with the normal jam-approach, which brings us to now, and then to transcribe part 2 and expand on that, back in Finale, into part 3. So maybe that’ll happen sometime soonish… but no promises 😉